On Sat, 8 May 2010, Weongyo Jeong wrote:

Hello,

Anyone encountered this panic on recent CURRENT kernel?
db> bt
Tracing pid 1795 tid 100096 td 0xffffff0003d8b390
uart_z8530_class() at 0
ifc_simple_create() at ifc_simple_create+0x89
if_clone_createif() at if_clone_createif+0x64
ifioctl() at ifioctl+0x685
kern_ioctl() at kern_ioctl+0xc5
ioctl() at ioctl+0xfd
syscall() at syscall+0x102
Xfast_syscall() at Xfast_syscall+0xe1
--- syscall (54, FreeBSD ELF64, ioctl), rip = 0x800b86d0c, rsp =
0x7fffffffe2e8, rbp = 0x7fffffffee36 ---

I haven't seen that particular panic, but I have seen uart_z8530_class (or something superficially similar to it) in stack traces that I can't see touching a uart device.

[r...@test ~]# kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel /var/crash/vmcore.1
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
This GDB was configured as "amd64-marcel-freebsd"...
Cannot access memory at address 0xffffff0127ffffe0
(kgdb) bt
#0  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x0
(kgdb) q

I have seen this behavior from kgdb --- it doesn't seem to be able to handle coredumps I've made recently. At first I thought that I managed to trash either my kernel image or kgdb binary with all the unclean shutdowns I've been having, but if you're seeing kgdb failures, maybe it's not just my local system.

Yet I am assuming that this is not broken for *everyone*, or we would have heard more noise about it.

I'm running a current snapshot from April 4th; maybe I will try updating to a new snapshot tonight and see if kgdb behaves better after everything is rebuilt.

-Ben Kaduk