On Tue, 18 May 2010, Roman Bogorodskiy wrote:

Hi,

I've been using -CURRENT last update in February for quite a long time
and few weeks ago decided to finally update it. The update was quite
unfortunate as system became very unstable: it just hangs few times a
day and panics sometimes.

Some things can be reproduced, some cannot. Reproducible ones:

1. background fsck always makes system hang
2. system crashes on operations with nullfs mounts (disabled that for
now)

The most annoying one is ffs_copyonwrite panic which I cannot reproduce.
The thing is that if I will run 'startx' on it with some X apps it will
panic just in few minutes. When I leave the box with nearly no stress
(just use it as internet gateway for my laptop) it behaves a little
better but will eventually crash in few hours anyway.

This may have been my fault. Can you please update and let me know if it is resolved? There was both a deadlock and a copyonwrite panic as a result of the softupdates journaling import. I just fixed the deadlock today.

Thanks,
Jeff

The even more annoying thing is that when I cannot save the dump,
because when the system boots and runs 'savecore' it leads to
fss_copyonwrite panic as well. The panic happens when about 90% complete
(as seem via ctrl-t).

Any ideas how to debug and get rid of this issue?

System arch is amd64. I don't know what other details could be useful.

Roman Bogorodskiy