FWIW, my report on installing -current on a dual P-III 733MHz HP Kayak
XU800, 1GB RAM, 2 Adaptecs, 7 disks, 300GB of disk space.

This has been the most difficult FreeBSD install for me ever since.
First, I tried to avoid fetching a -release tree across the network,
to save $$$ on IP costs (we pay by the MB). I learned that I need a
current system to compile -current, so that didn't work out for me.
I pulled over 20000222 and did an NFS install.

Sorry for using explicit words here, but sysinstall is causing problems
only. I can't remember how often I simply had to hit the reset button.
The reason is that if you mistype anything during install, sysinstall
has problems recovering. It seems a matter of poor testing to me, if
you always type the correct thing it will work. For everyone but -hackers,
this won't be the case and thus FreeBSD will receive very poor marks on
evaluations, once out. I have lost track about which menus this applies
to, but it included network configuration and choosing disk drives for
install (the latter will never appear again when trying to re-do).
sysinstall also overwrites /etc/make.conf with the default for unknown
reasons when called from an installed system.

Apart from that the most noticable thing is that the AIC-7892 Ultra160 will
not work with a 160 and a 80 MB disk drive attached. I'm not sure about
the reasons. I have run various combinations. An 80MB drive and a 160MB
drive on a 80MB (Ultra2) Adaptec will work. The Ultra160 drive alone on
a 160MB bus will work. It is the particular combination of the 2 which
causes problems. I have checked on firmware/BIOS, but I'm running the
most recent release. If anyone needs more details, we can discuss offline.
The kernel hangs with "SCSI timed out on SCB N while idle".

X11R6 will not install as fetched with -current, libXThrStub.so.6 is
missing. When compiling X11R6 from ports, everything works fine.

        Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel                        Email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Waikato Applied Network Dynamics        Phone: +64 7 8384794