[ I'll just address the CD problem ]

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 01:28:58 -0500, Joseph Jacobson wrote:

> Just wanted to share some things/small problems I've noticed on my box
> w/ 4.0-CURRENT and find out if these were bugs or problems w/ my stuff.
> 4.0 has been working great for me otherwise.
>
> I'm having sound problems w/ my AudioPCI card && pcm.  The first sound
> played thru the card generally sounds alright, but subsequent sounds
> have their beginnings clipped/chopped.  Short audio files sometimes
> produce no audible output.
>
> 'cdcontrol stop' doesn't stop the cd.  'cdcontrol status' after a stop
> command shows "Audio status = 18<paused>".  This doesn't seem to affect
> playback w/ cdcontrol, but GUI cdplayers act confused sometimes.

It's not a problem with FreeBSD that I can tell.  It's appears to just be
what the drive returns for a stop command.

I've got a similar Plextor 12X drive, and it does the same thing.

I've got a Panasonic DVD-RAM drive that does something different:

# cdcontrol play
cdcontrol: no CD device name specified, defaulting to /dev/cd0c
# cdcontrol status
cdcontrol: no CD device name specified, defaulting to /dev/cd0c
Audio status = 17<playing>, current track = 1, current position = 0:03.23
Media catalog is inactive
Left volume = 255, right volume = 255
# cdcontrol stop
cdcontrol: no CD device name specified, defaulting to /dev/cd0c
# cdcontrol status
cdcontrol: no CD device name specified, defaulting to /dev/cd0c
Audio status = 19<completed>, current track = 1, current position = 0:15.25
Media catalog is inactive
Left volume = 255, right volume = 255
# cdcontrol status
cdcontrol: no CD device name specified, defaulting to /dev/cd0c
Audio status = 21<void>, current track = 1, current position = 0:15.25
Media catalog is inactive
Left volume = 255, right volume = 255

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

> cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> cd0: <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-12TS 1.02> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
> cd0: cd present [329478 x 2048 byte records]

I would suggest using xmcd for a GUI cd player.  It works very well with
Plextor CDROM drives.  (At least every one I've tried.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]