Am 06.09.2010 um 13:08 schrieb Randy Bush:

> i never managed to figure out how to convert my pppoe nat config to ipfw
> natting.

I did not see a significant improvement going from ppp(8)+9 and ipfw to ppp(8)
and pf+nat. Since ppp(8) already incurs the kernel/userland cost, having it
handle NAT on top does not increase latency.

I've recently switched to mpd (and pf), and things "feel" snappier.  I haven't
benchmarked it though, and my router box is rather oversized for the task
anyway (C2D).  Friends using a Soekris swear that it helps a lot though.

The switchover is fairly painless, and the excellent mpd manual helps a lot.
Using one of the many examples, I managed to set up the mpd.conf rather
quickly; the only real adaptation was in the up and down scripts I was using
(my ISP kicks the connection every 24 hours, and I get a new IP, so I like to
bounce a couple of things when the connection comes up again.)

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <s...@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811

mpd.conf:

#
# Default configuration is "dialup"

default:
        load hansenet

hansenet:
#
# PPPoE client: only outgoing calls, auto reconnect,
# ipcp-negotiated address, one-sided authentication,
# default route points on ISP's end
#

        create bundle static hansenet
        #set bundle yes ipv6cp
        set iface route default
        set iface up-script /etc/ppp/hansenet.up
        set iface down-script /etc/ppp/hansenet.down
        set iface enable tcpmssfix

        create link static hansenet pppoe
        set pppoe iface vlan2
        set pppoe service ""