On 09/06/10 20:38, Gleb Kurtsou wrote:
Hello,

I would like to ask for feedback on a kernel level stacked cryptographic
filesystem. It has started as Summer Of Code'2009 project and matured a
lot since then. I've recently added support for sparse files and
switched to XTS encryption mode.

I've tried it and so far it works :)

3. Mount pefs filesystem:
# pefs mount ~/Private ~/Private

I see you've used the same example in the man page. Maybe it would be better for educational purposes to use two separate directories, e.g. ~/Private and ~/Decrypted to avoid confusion by new users (of course not all examples need to use this).

6. Example how to save your key in keychain database.

This is probably in line with what rwatson said (and would be covered by the same document): can you describe what keychains actually do?

7. You can setup pam_pefs (not compiled by default) to add key to home
directory and authenticate against keychain database on login, e.g. by
adding the following line to /etc/pam.d/system before pam_unix.so:

auth    sufficient      pam_pefs.so     try_first_pass

So, this would bypass passwd and let the user in if his password authenticates against the "keychain database" in his home directory? Will it automagically pefs-mount his home directory?

*   Uses modern cryptographic algorithms: AES and Camellia in XTS mode,
     PKCS#5v2 and HKDF for key generation.

I do have an request: since you are already using kernel crypto support, it would be simple to just throw Blowfish in :) If for nothing else, consider it a gift to those who are fond of Blowfish's large key sizes (upto 448 bits).

Actually, it would probably be seen as a reflection of consistency to implement the same algorithms that geli(8) implements. geli doesn't implement XTS yet - if your XTS code proves to be stable it would be a good thing to include it as standard and then use it from geli.

I see you've copied SHA2 code to the pefs code. What is wrong with just using the kernel's SHA2 implementation?