Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
csup worked like a charm and solved the problem. I will be rebuilding my
ports gradually, starting with the development ports like Perl, gcc,
clang etc.

I am also experimenting with a custom kernel where I am eliminating
drivers and modules for isa, wireless devices and hardware only found on
laptops. The early results are encouraging. I run fold...@home in a
VirtualBox with Unbuntu x64 as a guest OS. Since trying a custom kernel,
floating point performance has improved over 20%. This may also be due
to some kernel improvements in FreeBSD 9. So far I am very impressed
with the stability of the OS. I have not had problems with any of the
programs that I run on a regular basis. I had expected to hit more bugs.
I will get started on the rebuilds but with 1700 ports installed, I will
wait for a free weekend to compile the big stuff.
Thanks again
Ralph Ellis
ralphell...@netscape.ca

Glad to hear everything worked out in the end!
Just a side note, clang is already included in the base system in FreeBSD 9, so unless you've opted out from that with WITHOUT_CLANG in /etc/src.conf then you don't need the port.
Regards!
//Niclas