I don't remember the reference but I read a comprehensive comparison
    between various indexing methods about a year ago and the splay tree
    did considerably better than a RB-tree.  The RB-tree actually did
    fairly poorly.

    Any binary tree-like structure makes fairly poor use of cpu caches.
    Splay trees work somewhat better as long as there is some locality
    of reference in the lookups, since the node being looked up is moved
    to the root.  It isn't a bad trade-off.

    On the negative side all binary-tree-like structures tend to be
    difficult to MP-lock in a fine-grained manner (not that very many
    structures are locked at that fine a grain anyway, but it's a data
    point).  Splay-trees are impossible to lock at a fine-grain due to
    the massive modifications made on any search and the movement
    of the root, and there are MP access issues too.

    --

    What turned out to be the best indexing mechanism was a chained
    hash table whos hoppers were small linear arrays instead of single

    For our purposes such linear arrays would contain a pointer and
    an indexing value in as small an element as possible (8-16 bytes),
    the idea being that you make the absolute best use of your cache line
    and L1 cache / memory burst.  One random access (initial hash index),
    then linear accesses using a small indexing element, then one final
    random access to get to the result structure and validate that
    it's the one desired (at that point we'd be 99.9% sure that we have
    the right structure because we have already compared the index value
    stored in the hopper).  As a plus the initial hash index also makes
    MP locking the base of the chains easier.

    I don't use arrayized chained hash tables in DFly either, but only
    because it's stayed fairly low on the priority list.  cpu isn't really
    a major issue on systems these days.  I/O is the bigger problem.
    RB-Trees are simply extremely convenient from the programming side,
    which is why we still use them.

    I was surprised that splay trees did so well vs RB-trees, I never liked
    the memory writes splay trees do let alone the impossibility of
    fine-grained locking.  Originally I thought the writes would make
    performance worse, but they actually don't.  Still, if I were to change
    any topologies now I would definitely go with the chained-hash /
    small-linear-array / chain / small-linear-array / chain mechanic.  It
    seems to be the clear winner.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <dil...@backplane.com>