In message <4cadc453.7010...@googlemail.com>, "army.of.root" writes:
> On 10\10\02 18:48, Paul B Mahol wrote:

> >> Cool! This is the first time I've heard of this program! How come the
> >> folks at my university who manage the line printers have never let me
> >> on to this?!
> >>
> >> Ahh -- wait a sec -- I'm beginning to see your point about the whole
> >> "move it to games thing"...
> >>
> >> -Brandon aka "The Green Bar Bandit"
> >>

> > NetBSD and OpenBSD have this version in games and horizontal version
> > of banner in usr/bin.
> >
> > I see no point to have this program(s) in base at all.
> >
> > I will just stop here.
>
> Hi,
>
> A horizontal version of banner could be nice for motd etc.
>
> I like banner.
> It makes me smile and think that FreeBSD is a cosy place to be.

It's been in the base for decades. People used it to print banners on
reports, before laser and  ink jet printers were around, when tractor feed
printers ruled. Banner was more than just a game. People used it for
production work. I suppose you could still use it for its intended purpose
today however with the graphical tools we have today it's a little archaic.
Having said that, it doesn't take up a lot of space and should probably
remain where it is.

BTW, I'm of the age where I did use it and tools like it (on the IBM
mainframe) for real work.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <cy.schub...@komquats.com>