On 10/11/2010 01:34, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM, jhell <jh...@dataix.net> wrote:
>> On 10/10/2010 13:23, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>> <offtopic>
>>>     I'm not sure it would get resolved after this commit, but one
>>> minor annoyance is that restarting the netif rc.d script purges all
>>> gateways set, so I have to do and restart the routing rc.d script (if
>>> my connectivity doesn't get whacked). I think there was something else
>>> with natd and ipfw that I've run into in the past where I've restarted
>>> those scripts and things weren't all puppydogs and rainbows on my
>>> CURRENT systems.
>>> </offtopic>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Garrett
>>
>> Is that the dynamic routes only or also the static routes ?
>>
>> Either or if it would be any of the above it would be nice if these were
>> kept if it was only a restart of the interface, but offhand nothing
>> comes to mind that could prevent this from happening since the routes
>> are acting according to when the interface becomes inactive then the
>> route becomes meaningless.
>>
>> Maybe if the action of 'restart' to etc/rc.d/netif could also call
>> etc/rc.d/routing with 'restart' if the configuration of the interface
>> happens to match one of the recorded routes in rc.conf(5).
>
>     I just tested it on my test machine and it happens with static
> routes; dynamic routes automatically get reset by dhclient, et all. It
> used to be for both though in earlier versions of FreeBSD, IIRC.
> Thanks!
> -Garrett

That has been something that has bugged me for a while. Ill take a look
at some possibilities (with just the scripts in rc.d) that might be a
solution to this soon as I get a chance over this next week. It might
just be meaningful to merge the correct areas of the routing script into
the netif scripts restart and relevant sections. Ill look at this as
soon as I get a chance.

Unless if someone has another theory about whether those routes should
be deleted at all if the ifnet address still exists on the parent
interface ?.

Regards,

--

 jhell,v