I recall waay back on Mar 07 when Bill Fumerola wrote:

> Someone else will probably point this out to you, but:
>
> BUGS
>      THIS FILESYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T WORK)
>      AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT YOUR OWN
>      RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

Yes, I understand... Rome was not built in a day though, we have to fix it
one bug at a time if it's going to get fixed. ^_^; I guess not as many
people use it as I thought, though.

Also, the reason I posted my concerns is that this is the -current list
and I figured if anywhere, this might be the place. It seems like half the
fs' man pages have that disclaimer at the bottom =)

I guess my next question is: is there a better list to take the discussion
of fixing up unionfs (e.g., hackers? fs?), and is there any decent amount
of information somewhere that I could use to get up to speed on VFS in
FreeBSD and such?

The functionality would be very useful at work, and so far it seems to be
working fine minus a few hiccups. Because of that, it's somewhat likely
that I could spend time getting paid to work on it =). So I guess if
there's anyone who's interested in cleaning up after the dog at the moment
(see above disclaimer from the man page =) it'd probably be me.

Specifically I'd like to see the operation cleaned up if possible so that
it's more truly transparent -- like no shadow directories, special files
(e.g., device nodes) working, etc; if I can get my brain around it I might
be able to work on some of that. I've studied the VFS model in Linux a
bit, and BSD's seems somewhat similar, at least at first glance. It
doesn't look too hard. Famous last words I guess... =)