On 01/11/11 15:37, C. P. Ghost wrote:
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Xin LI<delp...@delphij.net>  wrote:

On 01/11/11 12:11, David DEMELIER wrote:
Yes, why this function exists? There is no way to solve a problem
without panic'ing? Is panic really needed? Imagine someone working on
[...]

Panic is used to stop the kernel in an aggressive way when data damage
is detected and the damage is already beyond what the kernel can recover
from.

The kernel can and should be made more robust but no, I don't think we
can totally eliminate panic().
Exactly. One area where the kernel should be made more robust
is UFS with disappearing disks (e.g. USB mounted file systems,
or, as recently happened here with a loose external SATA cable).
Panicing here is REALLY annoying. ;-)

Getting slightly off-topic here, but... there was progress made on this front a while ago. You can reliably detach at least USB storage with a mounted MSDOSFS or UFS filesystem without soft updates and not risk a system panic. There will be a panic if soft updates are enabled on UFS, however, at least as of my last test in 2010.

-Boris

Cheers,
- --
Xin LI<delp...@delphij.net>      http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!          Live free or die
-cpghost.