On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 11:33 -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> That is mostly true.  There are some SCSI BIOSes that would examine the MBR
> and infer what C/H/S geometry the OS was expecting from the MBR.  The
> original dedicated disk dummy MBR triggered a divide by zero in one of these
> BIOS ROMs.

I guess RAID BIOS's read through the MBR too: my Gigabyte board has an
Intel AHCI BIOS (1.20E seems to be the problematic revision) with
fakeraid that hangs (requiring a CMOS reset) if you install FreeBSD
physically after Windows 7 x64 for example - and some IBM laptops have a
bug related to repair partitions and FreeBSD too
(http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Laptops), so they must read the MBR
too.

--
Bruce Cran