On 04/20/2011 16:01, Warren Block wrote:

Not sure I understand the question. I have a little article called
FreeBSD Labeled Filesystems:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/labels.html

That's a good article, but it highlights what seem to be some deficiencies in the various implementations. For the most part they seem ufs-centric, although glabel shows some promise for supporting ext2fs and msdosfs (both of which are workhorse file systems for me). In your article you point out another thing that seems sub-optimal to me, different locations for different types of things which are all referred to as labels.

My primary concern however is, quite frankly, that it isn't being done the way linux does it, on 2 fronts. First, I like the fact that on linux the labels are created with uuidgen at install time, and all the configuration is transparent to the user. Here is a good article that gives an overview: http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/146951, although searching for "linux uuid disk label" yielded a lot of good results. (Testing with our uuidgen(1) I noticed that we would probably need to do some work to support more methods to make it a little less predictable, but that shouldn't be difficult).

The other concern I have is that having installed linux (ubuntu specifically) it's already created labels for things. If I run glabel is it potentially going to overwrite them? Why can't 'glabel list' (or some other tool) "see" those labels? And if this kind of label already exists, why can't we just use it?

Finally, is glabel (which seems to be the only option for multi-fs labeling) be used safely for at least msdosfs and ext2fs? And if glabel is safe to use for all of our supported file systems, can they safely be mounted that way?

Thanks,

Doug

                        -- OK Go