Hi:
I did an install of 4.0-RC3 last night and found the following:

1:    Unable to transfer the local distribution from
      ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/Snapshots/i386

2:    Unable to transfer the X9set distribution from
      ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/Snapshots/i386

3:    The Ports collection took about 85 MB, not about 70 MB

4:    The first option for configuring X in full screen graphic mode, which
requires VGA16, did not work.  So I picked option #3, which seemed like the
next best option because it too mentioned a full-screen configuration. (I
skipped over option #2: the shell-based configuration because the
description said that that was more difficult -- the description doesn't
mention the pros or cons of option #3.)

       Bad move.  The next screen I saw was the next setup item (Ports).  I
thought that I had lost the opportunity to setup X but later I returned to
the "Main Menu" where I could choose to setup X.

5:    Something similar happened when I came to the account setup screen.
Option #1 was to "Exit this menu (back to previous) but instead of going
*back*, it seemed to go forward, bringing me to the screen to set password
for root.

6:    After Install was complete and a reboot, X would not start, when I
tried 'startx', I got:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: shared object "libXThrStub.so.6" not found

7:    I couldn't find PostgreSQL as a port (under 'database') during the
install.  It's definitely *there* in the installed Ports collection, though.
  Are other ports missing (it didn't seem like there were 3100+).  Are the
number of ports for the install purposely limited?

QUESTIONS
1-Is #1 just a localization which is unnecessary for USA?
2-Are #2,#4, and #6 related?  Was X9set missing in the distro?
3-Is it possible to include more documentation during install or online?  I
think there are several possible 'gotcha's' that may be avoided.  For
examples see above, but also:

I had used FIPS to create a new partition before the install but had not
deleted it.  In the Install program, the type of this partition was "6" and
the description was "FAT."  The install program allowed me to change the
type to ??? (the FreeBSD type) and the description now said "FreeBSD."  But
I hesitated to continue because the description explictly said that "unused"
was to be changed to "FreeBSD."  I exited the install, went back to Win95,
fired up DOSCMD and used fdisk to delete the partition.  Would the install
have worked if I hadn't deleted the partition? or would it have damaged
something?

4-How can I get 'startx' to work now?

John