On 6/12/2011 12:34 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Gary Palmer<gpal...@freebsd.org>  wrote:
On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 02:56:31PM -0400, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
So technically here a ZFS only install is lacking the speed in which
modules are loaded. I would prefer to find out why and fix that before
we go about adding new functionality to rcNG.

As I believe Doug has already said, its not just loading modules from ZFS.
In my experience, loading modules via loader.conf from UFS on i386 is
significantly slower than once the kernel has booted on both of my systems
here.  I think I've tried it and its not a disk thing as its slow loading from
flash media also.

     Dumb questions:

0. Does anyone actually read what I write?

     1. Has anyone benchmarked the two methods in parallel? If so
what's the delta?

As I've said several times now ... Loading modules in the boot loader takes an average of 2 seconds per module. Loading 6 of them from disk happens so fast I can't read the probe messages in real time. (I.e., less than 1 second total for all 6.)

     2. Has anyone tried to determine why it is that way?

Repeating myself again ... read the threads on -arch and the svn list. There you will find the answers from people a lot smarter than I. Short version, it's a known issue that cannot be changed.

                        -- OK Go