Sic... If you allow me the comparison, FreeBSD development is as open
as are the US (and, to some extend, most western country) borders
nowadays open to aliens, and believe me, this is not a compliment.

  - Arnaud

This is getting offtopic fast. Can we just EGODWIN here? It doesn't fulfill the entire requirements, but it's getting close...

Is it possible CPU is the wrong cause of the blocking? Is there perhaps memory contention between ZFS/UFS in OP's setup? Could filesystem/disk performance be the cause and not obscure technicalities of ULE scheduler? Dodgy hardware causing interrupt storms? Ethernet not in polling mode?

Matt