Something tells me that's a disaster waiting to happen. Eg, if
something happens, and the installer disk gets corrupted, people may
blame freebsd for being unstable, email questions to freebsd-* mailing
lists asking why X doesn't work (only for it to work when the image is
written out again), etc, etc.

If it's going to double as a live image versus an installer than maybe
have a boot option that mounts the root filesystem read-write
(complete with some fingerprint that says that the image has been
booted read-write at least once?)

Adrian

On 25 July 2011 08:57, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhiteh...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> It does not. I had tried to match the behavior of the 8.x memsticks. It's an
> easy change in /usr/src/release/ARCH/make-memstick.sh to change it, however.
> -Nathan
>
> On 07/24/11 19:54, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>
>> .. wait, the install-off-USB doesn't default to a read-only boot?
>>

>> Adrian

>>> Recently I installed a system from the "official" memory stick May
>>> snapshot
>>> (FreeBSD-9.0-CURRENT-201105-amd64-memstick.img). here are a few remarks:
>>>
>>> - the 1st thing I need to do is to configure the keyboard, as I am not in
>>> the
>>> US. This is needed for an install, but also for using it as a live
>>> system.
>>> And
>>> the keyboard configuration dialog is only a part of the installation
>>> procedure.
>>>
>>> - the partition tool is too simple/rudimentary, compared to the old
>>> sysinstall
>>> dialog. I always want to have a total control of the partitions e.g. to
>>> have
>>> proper alignement. So one must use the shell escape or the live system,
>>> which is
>>> a regression.
>>>
>>> - extracting the tarballs lead to (cryptic) errors: I discovered the hard
>>> way
>>> that I needed to execute a newfs.
>>>
>>> - I followed a succession of screens asking me to do the usual
>>> configuration
>>> steps (hostname, clock, network - IPv4 only ?? -, users) and at the end I