On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Michal Varga wrote:

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 16:24 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
So, I used the bsdinstaller again on the 9.0-BETA1 media with manual
partitioning. The HP desktop ate up 3 partitions, I inconveniently
forgot that geom can't grok secondary PC MBR partitions, was fooling
around and cleared the partitions, etc. I hit abort to exit the
partitioner start and from scratch and now my Windows partitions and
recovery partitions are gone.

Well, there's "gone" and there's really "gone" (but obviously, this is
not a pleasant situation in any case).

Just as a quick reminder for anyone who might not know (as this happens
regularly) - sysutils/testdisk should be able to recover those cleared
partitions pretty easily and put them back in place.

Or back up the GPT sectors first.

  dd if=/dev/ada0 of=gpt.bak bs=512 count=35

Or really, back up the whole disk first.  Clonezilla is handy for that.