On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, John Baldwin wrote:

On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:18:25 pm Daniel Eischen wrote:
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, John Baldwin wrote:

On Tuesday, September 06, 2011 3:34:58 pm Daniel Eischen wrote:
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, John Baldwin wrote:

Looks like I had a typo in my original e-mail, try
  "debug.acpi.disabled=hostres"
rather than "debug.acpi.disable=hostres".

Ok, I'll try that.

Setting debug.acpi.disabled=hostres in /boot/loader.conf
did not help.  I tried this with a recent kernel from HEAD.

Did it remove the 'pcib0: decoding ....' lines from a verbose dmesg?

I don't see that line in a verbose dmesg.  The hostres verbose
dmesg is here:

  http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/ath_dmesg_hostres.txt

More info.  I've found that kernels:

   March 31 - work, ath attaches and works

   April 1 - June 6: panic on cardbus attach

   June 7 - HEAD: work, but ath doesn't attach

I found the commit that fixed the panic:

  [ snip ]

I applied this patch to the April 1st kernel (which previously
paniced) and was able to boot the kernel.  ath still does not
attach.

So the commit that broke my cardbus ath occurred on April 1.

Hmm.  There are no PCI or Cardbus commits on April 1.  There are some ath(4)
changes though including two HAL changes:

I'm using a local CVS repo, so the a -D date means (I guess)
the beginning of the day.  So the commit that actually broke
the kernel for me occurred on Mar 31.  According to:

  cvs diff -u -D"31 Mar 2011" -D"1 Apr 2011"

there were a lot of sys/dev/pci changes.

--
DE