On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Kevin Oberman wrote:

I fear that BIOS may have some issue. I have a T43 and found that, if
I booted with the DVD
installed, atacontrol (this was prior to ATA-CAM) would allow me to
detach, but if I then
inserted a hard drive and tried to attach it, the system would lock up.

If I booted with a hard drive in the bay, I could detach, change
drives, and attach with no
problems. I don't recall if I could replace the hard drive with a DVD,
though and I don't have
physical access to that system ATM. Still, this sounds rather similar
to what I saw and it
was unique to the T43. I have had several other ThinkPads, all of
which allow me to swap
out the DVD for a different drive including the T520 I am using to
enter this reply.

It's not entirely clear that this is relevant, but my T400 has very odd behavior with the CD drive either disappearing or taking a very long time to probe on warm boots. Linux (or grub? I don't remember.) also has some trouble finding the root device (hard disk) on warm boots, but FreeBSD does fine.

-Ben Kaduk