At 04:38 PM 9/26/2011, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

There was also general sentiment that the rise of ZFS would allow just this sort of fine-grained partitioning, which is a huge advantage of its ability to create datasets on the fly. This perception that ZFS is most of the future probably contributed to the lack of strong opinions regarding the default UFS partition scheme.

Unfortunately, because ZFS is licensed under a viral license (not the GPL, but nonetheless one that isn't compatible with the BSD philosophy), I wouldn't want to see this happen. I'd rather see Hammer backported from Dragonfly.

--Brett