On 09/26/2011 18:43, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Doug Barton <do...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> burncd has been part of the system utilities included in the basic
>>> release since release 4.0 and cdrecord is a port. The professional
>>> solution is to remove burncd from the 9.0 system release and add the
>>> cdrecord command to the basic release as the replacement for burncd.
>>> Then add release notes entry of the change.
>>
>> I think you misunderstand the situation. So here are a few hopefully
>> helpful facts:
>>
>> 1. The fact that something is in the base, or in the ports, has
>> absolutely no bearing on whether one piece of software is fundamentally
>> more useful or valuable than another.
>

> Hi,
>
> I have used burncd on many releases of FreeBSD, on many machines
> without problem.  I can see the fact that burncd suddenly failing to
> work on ATAPI hardware could annoy and confused end-users.

It doesn't fail to work on ATAPI hardware. It fails to work on cd0 which
is a SCSI device. The fact that it's emulated doesn't matter.

> Can we modify burncd to somehow detect if ATAPI-CAM is enabled, and print out
> a more useful error message?

Sure, as soon as someone volunteers to create that patch. No one is
*trying* to annoy users, but things change around here because people
are interested in changing them.

hth,

Doug

                        -- OK Go