On 06/10/2011 11:34, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> On a newly installed development machine I installed subversion-freebsd
> from ports and ended up with a huge dependency chain. Eventually I got
> the usual gnu-hell (auto-*, lib*), but also python27, tcl-8.5, perl-5.12
> and m4. This is a bit too much. The last four should not be required to
> check out the FreeBSD source tree. They also may conflict with newer
> versions one wants to have on a development machine (python3, perl6, ...).
>
> Is there a way to cut this down a bit and just have a svn client with only
> the necessary stuff?

As it happens, I'm working on some scripts to generate GraphViz
dependency diagrams for ports, and purely coincidentally the
subversion-freebsd port is one of my test cases.  You can see the result
here:

http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/svnf.png

Now this reflects some local settings on my system, like installing
openssl from ports, but overall, the picture should still be pretty
standard.

One thing to note is that at runtime you only need the dependencies
connected by a continuous sequence of edges marked 'R' (run) or 'L'
(library) (maybe with other letters) and with a green arrow head.  So
all of the autotools stuff, perl, python, tcl, gmake, libtool are
disposable once you've built the port.  Or build packages off-line and
install those, which will avoid installing any fetch/extract/patch/build
dependencies in the first place.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                  Flat 3