On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, Glen Barber wrote:

On 10/7/11 4:27 PM, Warren Block wrote:
In my experience, without kern.geom.debugflags=16, the MBR will not be
written to the memstick, leaving you with what would effectively be a
coaster in the not-so-distant past.

Tried it just now with the 9.0-BETA3 memstick image.

[...]

Followed by removing the memory stick without unmounting it to avoid
overwriting part of the image.  No obvious problems, but no, it's not
polite.  (I'm thinking "automounter" here.)

Me not being one that uses hald or devd for USB, I'm certain the device
was not mounted when writing the memstick image.  In the former case of
your test, is the USB stick bootable?

I cleared the first 34 blocks and wrote it again to make sure, but yes.