> MHO different OS releases (Unix or not) are usually at the state of
> FreeBSD current regarding stability. FreeBSD late BETA and early RC
> are usually very stable. Therefore the approximate one month period
> between the first beta and the release is adequate time.

I see your point, especially after installing NetBSD on my new computer and
having big problems, like not being able to startx or not neing able to boot at
all.

On the old computer, I also had big problems with NetBSD, including release,
stable and current versions.

Building FreeBSD or NetBSD from source might be not feasible on older computers
short on RAM and/or disk space.

There are more frequent current FreeBSD snapshots available on

http://pub.allbsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-snapshots/

This site also has snapshots for other BSDs.

Tom