On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

Hi,

I tried following:

(1)   Run svnversion in non-svn directory:

  return status == 0
  prints out "exported"

time:
real    0m0.043s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.045s

(2)  Run svnversion in svn directory:

  return status == 0
  prints out "223847M"

time:
real    0m2.563s
user    0m0.980s
sys     0m1.187s

(3)  Run "svn info --non-interactive  ." in non-svn directory:

  return status == 1
  prints out "svn: '.' is not a working copy"

time:

real    0m0.056s
user    0m0.007s
sys     0m0.046s

(4)   Run "svn info --non-interactive ." in svn directory:

   return status == 0
   prints out "a bunch of info about from svn"

time:

real    0m0.023s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.024s

I thought that since svnversion seems to always have a return status of 0, and
is almost 2 seconds slower than "svn info" when run inside a svn directory,
that using "svn info" is a preferable way inside a script of determining
if a directory is part of a svn repo or not.

$(svn info | awk '/^Revision:/ {print $2}')

is what I use in my installkernel wrapper script. Granted, I didn't know about svnversion some time later, but it appears that svnversion broke some things by consolidating the .svn directories as Chris shows above with the 'exported' line.

Thanks,
-Garrett