Hi,

2011/10/7 Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7c...@yandex.ru>:
> On 07.10.2011 23:41, Glen Barber wrote:
>> In my experience, without kern.geom.debugflags=16, the MBR will not be
>> written to the memstick, leaving you with what would effectively be a
>> coaster in the not-so-distant past.
>
> The problem is that this bad suggestion is everywhere in the Internet.
> And users use it always even when it not needed. I think it is bad idea
> add it in the our official documentation.
FWIW, boot0cfg(8) also mentions it:

NOTE
 Protection mechanisms in the geom(4) subsystem might prevent boot0cfg
 from being able to update the MBR on a mounted disk.  Instructions for
 temporarily disabling these protection mechanisms can be found in the
 geom(4) manpage. Specifically, do a

       sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10

 to allow writing to the MBR, and restore it to 0 afterwards.

 - Arnaud