On Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:59:19 pm Robert Millan wrote:
> 2011/11/22 John Baldwin <j...@freebsd.org>:
> > Is __FreeBSD_version defined if __FreeBSD_kernel__ is defined on kFreeBSD?
>
> Not currently (except for kernel-space code), but if all the checks
> that use __FreeBSD_version are like the one you describe, I think it'd
> make sense.

I can think of cases where you might want it exposed (e.g. in the parts
of net-snmp that grovel around in kernel data structures and use
__FreeBSD_version to figure out what the right thing to do is, possibly
the same with lsof).

> But we need to make sure that defining it wouldn't suddenly enable
> code that is intended for FreeBSD userland, like it happens with
> __FreeBSD__.

Correct.  I don't believe that is the case since normally one has to
check for __FreeBSD__ before using __FreeBSD_version.

--
John Baldwin