On Dec 15, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

[…]
> That said: thrown out, data ignored, done.
>
> Now what?  Where are we?  We're right back where we were a day or two
> ago; meaning no closer to solving the dilemma reported by users and
> SCHED_ULE.  Heck, we're not even sure if there is an issue, other than
> some folks confirming that SCHED_4BSD performs better for them (that's
> what started this whole thread), and there are at least a couple which
> have stated this.

But, are any of these benchmarks really engaging the 4BSD/ULE scheduler
differences? Most such benchmarks are run on a system with no other load
whatsoever and in no way represent real world experience.

What is more, I believe in such benchmarks "the system feels sluggish" is not
measured at all. Even if it is measured, if in such case the benchmark finishes
"better" - that is, faster, or say, makes the system freeze for the user for
the duration of the test -- it will be considered "win", because the benchmark
suite ran faster on that particular system -- whereas a system which ran the
benchmark fast, provided good interactive response etc would be considered
"loser".

I think it is not good idea to hijack this thread, but instead focusing on the
other SCHED_ULE bashing thread to define an reasonable benchmark or a set of
benchmarks rather -- so that many would run it and provide feedback.