On 12/29/11 12:51, Bruce Cran wrote:
On 29/12/2011 16:37, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
I'd appreciate any specific comments you might have, and especially
specific suggestions for improvements. Except from people who are old
hands at sysinstall, I've received almost universally positive
comments on the user experience. Patches would be even more
appreciated, since real life has intervened to steal most of my
FreeBSD time.

There was talk in the past that any future installer should be based
around the pc-sysinstall backend - has there been any progress towards
moving bsdinstall to it?

There has not been much. My free time evaporated, and I haven't had the ability to work on this. I heard from some people at iX a while back, but I don't know what their progress is. There are a relatively small number of relatively major things that would need to be rewritten on both sides (e.g. the pc-sysinstall partition editor is x86-only and the bsdinstall one is premised around letting the kernel do pre-commit staging). There's a relatively bare wiki page at http://wiki.freebsd.org/PCBSDInstallMerge for those interested.
-Nathan