On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 09:23:50AM +0800, Paul Ambrose wrote:
> ?? 2012??1??31?? ????12:43??Kostik Belousov <kostik...@gmail.com> ??????
> > On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 07:08:13PM +0800, Paul Ambrose wrote:
> >> ?? 2012??1??30?? ????2:36??Kostik Belousov <kostik...@gmail.com> ??????
> >> >
> >> Just curious, is this AMD similar optimizations
> >>  Address Space Number (ASN) and Global flag
> >>                           US Patent 6,604,187.
> >> http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2003_09_21_Detailed_Architecture_of_AMDs_64bit_Core.html
> > This and the same-important next item 'The TLB Flush Filter' is what
> > I referred to.
> >
> >> I did not found anything about ASN in the AMD manual
> > It is a transparent optimization, which does not require any OS support.
> > Intel PCID is completely different, it shall be explicitely handled by OS.
> > It is some consequence of the nested pages support, AFAIU.

> >> yes, that is what I meant. I was wondering using another way that each
> >> process has different
> >> pcid in each active processor, just as the freebsd mips and powerpc
> >> uses. But obviously this way
> >> is more friendly to non-pcid  x86  processor.
> > Each vmspace (or pmap) has unique PCID with the patch, at least until
> > PCID space (12bit) is not exhausted. To really exhaust it, you need 4095
> > processes, so it is unlikely but possible event with the current settings.
> >
> Thank you for your explanation. I just disabled nvidia-driver( not
> load it) , and
> use "buildworld buildkernel" to test the pcid.1.patch with 9-release,
> it seems the box reset before
> completing the buildkernel, the attachment is my kernel config, would
> you mind try it on
> 9-release with pcid.1.patch? I will git 10-current a try to see if
> there is something wrong with my hardware

I just did checkout + buildworld + buildkernel with -j 10 on UFS with
PCID turned on, everything finished fine. It is up to date HEAD.

sandy% sysctl vm.stats.sys.v_swtch vm.pmap.pcid_save_cnt
vm.stats.sys.v_swtch: 13743519
vm.pmap.pcid_save_cnt: 7853519
I.e. the TLB was not flushed one each second context switch.

Trying the HEAD with the patch is probably easiest way forward.