On 03/12/12 17:00, Kevin Oberman wrote:
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM, matt<sendtom...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On 03/08/12 01:28, Ganael LAPLANCHE wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 20:29:16 +0200, Vrachnis Ilias-Dimitrios wrote

Hi,

2. I've read bad reviews about webcam having poor quality on
GNU/Linux, so I would assume it will be the same on FreeBSD with
webcamd and not worth the $30? (which also frees up space for
3x3 antenna)
Yep, the webcam works with webcamd but the quality is not great...

4. How far is the AMD64 kernel suspend/resume? What do you mean by
video doesn't resume?
I run 10-CURRENT :

FreeBSD laptop.martymac.org 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #12
r231062M: Mon Feb  6 10:29:35 CET 2012
marty...@laptop.martymac.org:/usr/obj/files/Src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

with all.13.1 patch (no more available) from :

http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/drm/

3D acceleration works well, as well as suspend/resume when Xorg has been
started (black screen if on console).

Best regards,

--
Ganael LAPLANCHE<ganael.laplan...@martymac.org>
http://www.martymac.org | http://contribs.martymac.org

This is great news!

I just finished some other stuff, so hopefully I can take a renewed look at
brightness and the fan issue.
Thanks for woking on this, Matt. I, for one, would be happy to have
the volume and de-lighted to have brightness working on my T520!
(Sorry or the weak pun.)
So far it looks like acpi_video attaches, but the lcd0 device is not active.

More interestingly, if you press brightness shortcuts, acpi_video can see the brightness value change while screen does not actually change.

My conclusion based on bullshit and poking around in the acpidump, is that possibly either: 1) We need to call some ACPI handle to put ACPI in charge of brightness (google acpi brightness trapdoor) 2) acpi_video is attaching to the nvidia optimus hooks (yes, they're there, I know we don't have that option) and is missing the IGD video (VIGD/PEG etc) 3) Something else is wrong with either acpi, acpi_video, or bios that is preventing ACPI from working?

I am going to take more of a look tonight.

I think I can just hack in some ACPI calls straight to the ec if that will work, which might also include the correct ones to resume the display without KMS?
Calling some _ON function or something perhaps

Thanks!

Matt