> > There was a discussion on one of the list about what to do for
> > floating point excpetions recently, and I thought people decided
> > that causing a signal by default was a right thing?
>
> The outcome was that applications that care must set the control word
> themself and that we go the way of least resistance for the rest.

OK - I just did a quick scout around. Digital Unix gives a SIGFPE;
Solaris, AIX and Redhat print some captalisation of "Inf"; HP/UX
prints "++.000000" ;-)

Is there a way of setting the control word which is in any sense
portable? Most machines I've looked at seem to have no documented
way of setting what exceptions should be masked, and each one that
does has a different set of calls.

        David.