It seems Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sometimes i get IDE disks with hard errors on some sectors
>
>       (status 59<rdy,seekdone,drq,err> error 40<uncorr>)
>
> and of course this makes it problematic to use a filesystem on it.
> I wonder, is there a way to fetch the data from these sectors
> (even if partly erroneous) ?
>
> I am asking because a strategy which often 'fixes' the
> problem for me is to overwrite the erroneous sector with some data.
> Of course i can use a zero-filled block but this is kind of risky,
> and maybe it is preferable to use a portion of the original data
> and hope that fsck is able to fix this.

Erhm, I would get a new disk :), you dont intend to trust any
data to this setup do you ??

Anyhow, I dont remember if it is possible to actually get at the data on
a transfer that the drive marked bad, but I can check up when I get
to my doc shelf. But I wouldn't trust that data for _anything_ it is
likely to be totally corrupted due to the drive trying to ECC correct
it and what not...

-Søren