:>
:> I would think that track-caches and intelligent drives would gain
:> much if not more of what clustering was designed to do gain.
:
:Hm. But I'd think that even with modern drives a smaller number of bigger
:I/Os is preferable over lots of very small I/Os. Or have I missed the point?
:
:--
:Wilko Bulte                    Arnhem, The Netherlands
:http://www.tcja.nl             The FreeBSD Project: http://www.freebsd.org

    As long as you do not blow away the drive's cache with your big I/O's,
    and as long as you actually use all the returned data, it's definitely
    more efficient to issue larger I/O's.

    If you generate requests that are too large - say over 1/4 the size of
    the drive's cache, the drive will not be able to optimize parallel
    requests as well.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>