Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 21 March 2000 at 14:48:55 +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm having a strange problem after upgrading: There are no raw
> > devices created for vinum volumes.
>
> Indeed there are.  You list them below.  There are no longer any block
> devices.
>

> This was a block device.

> This is now a character device.

OK. Of course. Cool!

> You don't describe what dump has to say.  I know that they put in a
> fix recently, but you don't say how old your system is.

The system is 4.0-STABLE, which is more or less 4.0-RELEASE right
now.

dump fails at the point were it is trying to convert the block
device listed in fstab to a raw device, by inserting a 'r' after
the last '/' in the pathname. This part of dump wasn't changed
since the initial import :)

in sbin/dump/main.c:546:

char *
rawname(cp)
        char *cp;
{
        static char rawbuf[MAXPATHLEN];
        char *dp = strrchr(cp, '/');

        if (dp == NULL)
                return (NULL);
        *dp = '\0';
        (void)strncpy(rawbuf, cp, MAXPATHLEN - 1);
        rawbuf[MAXPATHLEN-1] = '\0';
        *dp = '/';
        (void)strncat(rawbuf, "/r", MAXPATHLEN - 1 -
strlen(rawbuf));
        (void)strncat(rawbuf, dp + 1, MAXPATHLEN - 1 -
strlen(rawbuf));
        return (rawbuf);
}

So, here what dump says:
trumpet:vinum# dump 0af /dev/null /cluster1
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Mar 22 02:10:20 2000
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/vinum/rcluster1 (/cluster1) to /dev/null
  DUMP: Cannot open /dev/vinum/rcluster1

which is rather expected.

My fstab has the line:
/dev/vinum/cluster1  /cluster1  ufs  rw  2  2

Since you've enlighted me with the fact that there are only
character devices in vinum nowadays, my suggestion is putting a
symlink rfilesys->filesys in /dev/vinum for each filesystem, or
creating device nodes named rfilesys as well. This would make
dump(8) happy anyway.

Also, the manual pages (both vinum(4) vinum(8)) seem to be a bit
off here, since they mention both raw devices,
/dev/rvinum/rfilesys and /dev/vinum/rfilesys, none of which I
have (I do have /dev/rvinum/filesys, but they were probably made
under 3.4, right? Can I remove them?).

Oh, by the way, I love vinum. Thanks for all the hard work!

Cheers,
Palle