Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> jack
>writes:
> : Today Warner Losh wrote:
> :
> : > boot.flp288
> :
> : The M$ weenies would probably choke on that since they do
> : filenames other than 8.3 with smoke and mirrors.
>
> 8.3 is so archaic these days we shouldn't be bothered with them.  It
> hasn't been a real restriction since the 3.1 days.  Win95, released 5
> years ago, fixed this.

        But win95 didn't really fix it, it just covered it up. Filenames in
Win9x are still 8.3, but the "OS" provides a translation layer that maps
those 8.3 filenames to long ones. Also, are we sure that fdimage,
running under DOS can handle longer names?

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence,