On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 05:14:01PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Steve Kargl
> <s...@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 11:52:10PM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> >> I'm on amd64 r238259.
> >>
> >> I'm still not clear on the /usr/src/UPDATING
> >> entry from 20110424 on replacing the ATA
> >> drivers by CAM drivers.
> >>
> >> If I *do not* have device ata in the kernel,
> >> I have neither /dev/cd* or /dev/acd*,
> >> even though I have in the kernel:
> >>
> >> options ATA_CAM         # Handle legacy controllers with CAM
> >> options ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering
> >> device  ada
> >> device  cd              # CD
> >>

> > man 4 cam
> >
> > I suspect that you are missing 'device scbus' in
> > your config file.
>
> device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for ATA/SCSI)
>
> Probably. And as the fine print says...
>
>         Note that to use CAM-based ATA kernel should include CAM devices
>         scbus, pass, da (or explicitly ada), cd and optionally others.

I do have all this in the kernel, see below.
Still if I don't have device ata, I get no cd:

# ls /dev
acpi            console         kbd0            stdin           ttyve
ad4             consolectl      klog            stdout          ttyvf
ad4s1           ctty            kmem            sysmouse        ugen0.1
ad4s1a          devctl          log             ttyv0           ugen0.2
ad4s1b          devstat         mdctl           ttyv1           ugen1.1
ada0            dumpdev         mem             ttyv2           ugen2.1
ada0s1          fd              midistat        ttyv3           ugen3.1
ada0s1a         fido            mixer0          ttyv4           ugen4.1
ada0s1b         geom.ctl        null            ttyv5           ugen5.1
apm             io              pass0           ttyv6           urandom
apmctl          ipauth          pccard0.cis     ttyv7           usb
atkbd0          ipl             pci             ttyv8           usbctl
audit           iplookup        psm0            ttyv9           xpt0
bpf             ipnat           ptmx            ttyva           zero
bpf0            ipscan          random          ttyvb
bpsm0           ipstate         sndstat         ttyvc
cam             ipsync          stderr          ttyvd
#

Here's the kernel config file:

cpu     HAMMER
ident   BUZI

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
makeoptions     MODULES_OVERRIDE=

options ATA_CAM         # Handle legacy controllers with CAM
options ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering
options AUDIT                   # Security event auditing
options CAPABILITIES            # Capsicum capabilities
options CAPABILITY_MODE         # Capsicum capability mode
options CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options COMPAT_FREEBSD32        # Compatible with i386 binaries
options COMPAT_FREEBSD7         # Compatible with FreeBSD7
options COMPAT_LINUX32
options DDB                     # Support DDB.
options DEADLKRES               # Enable the deadlock resolver
options FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options GDB                     # Support remote GDB.
options GEOM_LABEL              # Provides labelization
options GEOM_PART_GPT           # GUID Partition Tables.
options HWPMC_HOOKS             # Necessary kernel hooks for hwpmc(4)
options IEEE80211_AMPDU_AGE     # age frames in AMPDU reorder q's
options IEEE80211_DEBUG         # enable debug msgs
options IEEE80211_SUPPORT_MESH  # enable 802.11s draft support
options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
options INET                    # InterNETworking
options INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
options INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of internal structures,
required by INVARIANTS
options IPFILTER
options IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK
options IPFILTER_LOG
options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options KDB     # Enable kernel debugger support. Always need this
#options        KDB_TRACE               # Print a stack trace for a panic.
#options        KDTRACE_FRAME           # Ensure frames are compiled in
#options        KDTRACE_HOOKS           # Kernel DTrace hooks
options KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
options MAC                     # TrustedBSD MAC Framework
options MALLOC_DEBUG_MAXZONES=8 # Separate malloc(9) zones
options MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
options MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
options PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption
options PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=128    # Prevent printf output being interspersed.
options PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options SC_PIXEL_MODE           # add support for the raster text mode
options SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
options SCTP                    # Stream Control Transmission Protocol
options SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support
options STACK                   # stack(9) support
options SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
options UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big directories
options UFS_GJOURNAL            # Enable gjournal-based UFS journaling
options USB_DEBUG               # enable debug msgs
options WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
options WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed
options _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions

device  acpi
device  ada
device  ahci            # AHCI-compatible SATA controllers
#device ata             # Legacy ATA/SATA controllers
device  atkbd           # AT keyboard
device  atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device  bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet
device  bpf             # Berkeley packet filter
device  bwn             # Broadcom BCM43xx wireless NICs.
device  cardbus         # CardBus (32-bit) bus
device  cbb             # cardbus (yenta) bridge
device  cd              # CD
device  cpufreq
device  ctl             # CAM Target Layer
device  da              # Direct Access (disks)
device  ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device  ether           # Ethernet support
device  faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
device  firmware        # firmware assist module
device  gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device  loop            # Network loopback
device  md              # Memory "disks"
device  miibus          # MII bus support
device  ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device  pass            # Passthrough device (direct ATA/SCSI access)
device  pccard          # PC Card (16-bit) bus
device  pci
device  psm             # PS/2 mouse
device  pty             # BSD-style compatibility pseudo ttys
device  random          # Entropy device
device  sc # syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device  scbus           # SCSI bus (required for ATA/SCSI)
device  siba_bwn        # required by bwn(4)
device  sound           # Generic sound driver (required)
device  snd_hda         # Intel High Definition Audio
device  tun             # Packet tunnel.
device  uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device  ukbd            # Keyboard
device  umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device  ums             # Mouse
device  usb             # USB Bus (required)
device  vga             # VGA video card driver
device  vlan            # 802.1Q VLAN support
device  wlan            # 802.11 support
device  wlan_amrr       # AMRR transmit rate control algorithm
device  wlan_ccmp       # 802.11 CCMP support
device  wlan_tkip       # 802.11 TKIP support
device  wlan_wep        # 802.11 WEP support
device  xhci            # XHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 3.0)

I must be missing something else.

Many thanks

--
Anton Shterenlikht