Ok, this is NOT a softupdates *or* a vinum problem.

    This is a buffer cache problem.

    The problem is due to the large block size you are using when newfs'ing
    the filesystem coupled with problems in geteblk() which causes severe
    buffer cache KVM fragmentation.  Softupdates exasperates the geteblk()
    problem.

    I thought I had fixed this problem but apparently not.

    Try applying my buf-cleanup-3.diff patch from:

        http://www.backplane.com/FreeBSD4/

    Then go back to the configuration that was producing the problem before
    and see if it still occurs.

    Even with the above patch there is still a significant KVM fragmentation
    issue with large-block filesystems.  You can guarentee 100% success by
    hacking the BKVASIZE define in sys/sys/param.h (AFTER applying the patch)
    from 16384 to 32768, but I wouldn't raise it much beyond that.  This
    patch is only a partial fix to the problem.

                                                -Matt