--On September 11, 2012 2:44:03 AM -0700 Doug Barton <do...@freebsd.org> wrote:

Doug, as you can already use CLANG instead of GCC now, you will be able
to use GCC instead of CLANG after November 4th.

There's lots of things I _can_ do, what we're discussing is what the
defaults should be.

At the moment the ports maintainers don't give much about if their ports
build with CLANG or not

Do you follow ports development? At all? There have been extensive
efforts over the last several years to get more ports compiling with
clang. The problem is that things like the c89 issue don't percolate
down, and we don't have a concerted effort from all of the relevant
parties to improve the issue.

Fixing the problem of getting the right eyeballs on the things that need
fixing won't be improved by switching the default before they are fixed.
In fact, it's likely to make the people who are src-centric now even
less likely to help because their work will be "done."

Those who don't run CURRENT won't notice, but those who do will have to
get their butts up and fix the ports, so 10.0 can have 99% of all ports
build with CLANG and even 8.x and 9.x can already profit from having the
broken ports fixed now.

Yeah, and I'm going to get a pony out of this deal, right? :)

You completely misunderstand the nature of the problem, therefore your
proposed solution isn't going to solve it.

Perhaps a port maintainer's input would help? I'd never even heard of clang until recently. I'm not a programmer. If I can't get my ports to compile with clang without a knowledge of programming, I'll abandon them. I'm too old and too tired to try learning a brand new system. I doubt I'm alone.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst