On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Garrett Cooper wrote:

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM, CeDeROM <cede...@tlen.pl> wrote:
Hello Ian :-)

This is the problem - / is read only and /etc/resolv.conf already links to
nonexistent file. This way I cannot modify its content nor link other file
(i.e. /var/resolv.conf) to /etc/resolv.conf. Creating /var/resolv.conf does
not help either.

I think /etc/resolv.conf should point to /var/resolv.conf from start so the
resolver is functional :-)

   I generally get around this with mdmfs and unionfs mounts, but
it's a bit annoying... I'll see if I can file a PR with all of the
things that need to be fixed/enhanced and maybe fix some of the items
if I get some time (if the liveCD used rc.initdiskless it would be
considerably simpler and some key filesystems would be writable after
boot).

Martin Matuska's excellent mfsBSD (http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/) could be a source for ideas or techniques. It does things like this well. (I was going to say it does *most* things well, but can't actually think of anything it does not do well.)