Well, it looks as if some changes were made to pcm.  Specifically, it
looks as if changes were made to address the problem of RealPlayer not
stopping the clip immediately after pressing stop.  Before the
changes, RealPlayer (all versions) would keep playing the clip ~ 3
secs after pressing stop.  Now, it stops playing the clip almost
immediately after pressing stop.  In the wake of these changes, now
RealPlayer's sound gets interrupted very easily after opening/closing
windows.  Also, the previous pcm changes performed much better under
high CPU loads.  Now, pcm chokes under CPU loads.

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like there's a tradeoff here:  if
you fix pcm so that RealPlayer stops playing the clip sooner after
pressing stop, it performs noticeable worse under moderate to heavy
cpu loads.

- Donn