On 03/02/2013 21:46, Edward Tomasz Napierała wrote:
Wiadomość napisana przez deeptech71 w dniu 2 mar 2013, o godz. 18:29:
When one of my flash drives is being heavily written to; typically by ``svn
update'' on /usr/src, located on the flash drive; the following can be said
about filesystem behavior:

- ``svn update'' seems to be able to quickly update a bunch of files, but is
then unable to continue for a period of time. This behavior is cyclical, and
cycles several times, depending on the amount of updating work to be done for a
particular run of ``svn update''.
- Access to any filesystem, whether on the said flash drive or not, seems to be hindered
a lot, typically during the said "unable to continue" time. Reading of a file
on a hard drive was once delayed for more than 10 seconds. Seemingly as a consequence,
the starting of top(1) is also typically delayed.

When that happens, could you do "ps axl" and see the WCHAN column
for the affected processes?  Is it "wdrain"?

What do you mean by "the affected processes"?

The MWCHAN of an ``svn update'' contained long "wdrain" periods (but included "getblk",
"drainvp", etc.). ``[bufdaemon]'' sometimes seemed to somewhat follow the "wdrain" state of ``svn
update''.

I've also found out that the inability for top(1) or ps(1) to start immediately
has something to do with X -- in the virtual terminals, there was never a delay.