> :We recently upgraded a server from 2.2.8 to 4.0(the same behavior is shown
> :on 5.0-current, too). Before, with the exact same load, we'd see load
> :averages from between 0.20 and 0.30. Now, we're getting:
> :
> :load averages:  4.16,  4.23,  4.66
> :
> :Top shows the same CPU percentages, just a much higher load average for the
> :same work being done. Did the load average calculation change, or something
> :with the scheduler differ? Customers are complaining that the load average
> :is too high, which is kinda silly, since 4.0 seems noticably faster in some
> :cases.
> :
> :Any ideas?
> :
> :Kevin
>
>     I believe the load average was changed quite a while ago to reflect not
>     only runnable processes but also processes stuck in disk-wait.  It's
>     a more accurate measure of load.

Ahh, and since nearly everything is done on this system via NFS, I can
imagine that several things are waiting for NFS responses.

It's probably more accurate, but from a PR standpoint it makes it "look"
like FreeBSD is choking under the load, when it really isn't. Or am I the
only one that even cares about this? :)

Kevin