On 7/15/13 10:12 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:
On Jul 14, 2013, at 3:43 PM, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Teske, Devin
<devin.te...@fisglobal.com<mailto:devin.te...@fisglobal.com>> wrote:

I assume that poudiere builds packages from ports.

Yes.

That's not how we build package repositories here (and would expect that there
are many more like us).

How do you build packages if you are not using FreeBSD ports?

Two spectrums...

When developer A says he needs xerces, I go to:

(for an active release, such as 8.4 or 9.1)
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/{arch}/X.Y-RELEASE/packages/All<ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/%7Barch%7D/X.Y-RELEASE/packages/All>

(for an in-active release, such as 8.1 or 9.0)
ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/{arch}/X.Y-RELEASE/packages/All<ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/%7Barch%7D/X.Y-RELEASE/packages/All>

Meanwhile, when either developer B or integrator A says "I have software X that I want to
package", we use "pkgbase" to build the FreeBSD package, the RedHat RPM, etc.

Before you dismiss Devin's case as "corner case" I will point out to you that: 1/your pay checks are probably just one or two steps removed from his system, (almost anywhere in the world) 2/ that he is handling both FreeBSD packages AND Redhat packages , and that 3/ The last time I looked his systems were handling an amount of money per year that had 12 '0' s in it. It's probably way bigger now.