On 8/23/13 6:35 PM, David Chisnall wrote:
On 23 Aug 2013, at 10:58, Bernhard Fröhlich <de...@freebsd.org> wrote:

I don't know if you are aware that IF you really do that we will have serious
problems to ship packages for 10. USE_GCC=any is the fallback in the
portstree for all ports that are unable to build with clang which was introduced
when HEAD switched to clang as default cc. Right now there are 150 ports in
the tree that use this fallback and quite a few of them are high profile ports:

the highlights:
audio/nas devel/mingw32-binutils emulators/qemu emulators/virtualbox-ose
emulators/wine lang/go lang/v8 mail/courier math/fftw3 multimedia/libxine
multimedia/gstreamer multimedia/gstreamer-plugins multimedia/x264
security/clamav

the full list:
http://dpaste.com/1354075/

A possible hack could be to add a check for USE_GCC=any to behave like
a USE_GCC=yes on HEAD on the affected platforms. This pulls in lang/gcc
from ports for a lot of people on HEAD I suppose.

We certainly need to do that switch to remove the ancient gcc from base
some time but with my portmgr hat on I can only say we don't plan to do that
before 10.0 especially not if we are only talking about a few weeks time window.
That is unfortunate.  We have said for over a year that 10.0 should not ship
with gcc.  I can delay committing the patch to flip the switch until later in
the code slush, if re approves, but ports that require gcc should be building
with gcc from ports (which will also improve code quality, as gcc 4.6/7 produce
significantly better code than 4.2.1).
no, I believe we have said that 10 would ship with clang by default. NO mention was made about gcc being absent, and I am uncomfortable with taking that step yet. Having gcc just present, will not hurt you.. even after it is gone we will need to support those who will be replacing clang with newer versions of gcc in hteir own products.

David