On 8/23/13 8:26 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
on 23/08/2013 14:06 David Chisnall said the following:
Our gcc is from 2007.  It has no C11, no C++11 support.  It has bugs in its
atomic generation so you can't use it sensibly without lots of inline
assembly (which it doesn't support for newer architectures) for
multithreaded things.

Our libstdc++ is ancient and doesn't work with modern C++ codebases.
On the other hand these tools are perfect for building FreeBSD kernel and base.
Extrapolating my experience with base GCC I am very confident in it as a
FreeBSD development tool.
Extrapolating my experience with Clang I am not yet confident in it as a
FreeBSD development tool.

I do not care about C11, C++11 and modern C++ codebases.  I care about what's
in /usr/src and what gets compiled by buildkernel/buildworld.  That's just me,
of course.  But, OTOH, those who care modern C++ codebases should be perfectly
capable to install a compiler from ports or switch to clang as their default
compiler.

+1

I'd like to see it still be "there if you need it" in 10

in 11 it's in ports