From: "Jon Parise" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2000 at 02:44:25PM -0400, Patrick Bihan-Faou wrote:
>
> > I have integrated the source of qmail so it can be built as part
> > of the "world". I think that it would be nice to have an
> > alternative for the mailer package to be built as part of a make
> > world.
>
> I don't recall the particulars (it's been a while since I've
> managed a qmail installation), but aren't there issues with qmail's
> distribution license that would make integrating it into the build
> tree illegal?

I will contact DJB and find out if this is OK with him. After reading his
"license" page, I come to the conclusion that it is a matter of obtaining is
approval. He wants to ensure that qmail IS qmail no matter how and where it
is installed.

> As a side note, I don't think it's all that good of an idea to add
> another MTA to the build tree, but I'm sure others will raise a
> more substantial argument than I could.

Well, qmail is a fairly popular alternative to sendmail. It is supposedly
more secure, and definitely easier to configure. I use it exclusively and it
would be a lot nicer for me to have it included in the base distribution of
FreeBSD. I am sure that other people feel the same.

My intent is NOT to start a flame war on MTA's. If nobody is interested
and/or the FreeBSD team does not want it, then it will not be included in
the tree. It's that simple.

I remember some while ago some threads going wild on the subject of MTA. The
only reason why I am posting this is that I did the work for some other
project I am involved in, and if it can help others, then I'd rather share
it.

Patrick.