On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 10:45:32 +0200
dt71 at gmx.com wrote:
> Suppose that Newcons gets in quickly. I use a Radeon 9600 card. Will
> I see something useful on my screen (with KMS and the new Xorg and
> things like that), or will my screen be black?

Yup, you will get normal virtual terminal, but a bit bigger than
640x480. It is main reason why x11 team ask me to merge newcons ASAP.
Newcons can use framebuffer provided by DRM.

Try it yourself.

You have successfully volunteered to diagnose why a graphical display fails to
start when ports are built using
  WITH_NEW_XORG=1
  WITH_KMS=1
  WITH_GALLIUM=1

I still have a very custom kernel containing
  device drm
  device radeondrm
and no loadable modules, so I'll be back with a situation report after building
and installing a more GENERIC kernel.